Interesting how creative work goes. I am required to make my own collar, and it has been an interesting learning experience.
When I first started putting together the mockups, it seemed straightforward. Anodized aluminum chain maille in silver, black, and green. Byzantine weave. Pendant made of silver precious metal clay (PMC); a small lock with keys. I didn’t know how to weave maille yet, and I have limited access to PMC (which is expensive). I fully expected it to take me nearly the six months I had when I began.
Then I started doing research. I looked up materials and maille weaves. I ordered rings that wouldn’t do what I needed them to, and started exploring other options for them. I found other maille weaves that caught His eye. I searched shops for other projects and came across other materials that He liked.
The design of the thing changed dramatically. And it is, to my shock, nearly done.
The lock itself is actually the one pictured on this blog, ordered from an artist in Florida. The maille weave has changed from Byzantine to Captured Inverted Round; the colors are slightly different, and the entire thing is much larger than I expected. The last piece I have to get is the pendant He wants, from an artist in Canada. Everything else is finished. The length now sits on His altar, waiting for its last piece, waiting for its time.
I have been informed that this is just the first. There will be other collars later. I will make every one. It is good practice, I’m told, for Work I will be doing in the future.
I do not have any images of the process. I am not to share images until I am wearing it. But let me say, in my own humble opinion… I think I did a pretty decent job. I’m looking forward to making more of them, for Him and for others. I just wish He’d let me use Rhinos Snorting Drano for one of them.